Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Sherlock: The Empty Hearse (Season Three, Episode One)

Look, my fellow Americans, I watched this through some sort of voodoo on my computer (it involved convincing my computer that we live in England. Don't ask). If you don't want spoilers, DON'T READ THIS POST.

Glad we got that covered.

I think tonight's episode was a touching nod to the fans.

By which I mean, Moffat and Gatiss clearly trolled the internet to find the most amazing of the crazy theories and just ran with it. I love that Anderson has essentially turned into the Mad Hatter (Hatter being what I will lovingly call a "Sherlock conspiracy theorist"). His introductory scheme was, perhaps, the most entertaining few moments of television I have had all week. It is only surpassed by Scottish Goth Girl's version of what exactly happened on that roof.

Andrew Scott and Benedict Cumberbatch deserve Emmys for that scene. Seriously.

But I digress, if you want to know how it plays out, here you go:

Sherlock is in it with Molly and Mycroft (obviously). His reaction to Moriarty's death is genuine - he should have seen it coming, but did not. He knew he needed to make his death convincing but he also needed to, you know, live. He texts Mycroft letting him know the plan is on, his homeless network and Mycroft's men keep everyone at bay and close off access to the street (like a movie lot), they set up a blue stunt/fall pad, meanwhile the body of the kidnapper is tossed on the ground in order for John to see a Sherlock-esque body lying there. All the equipment gets packed up quickly, Sherlock trades places with the dead body, which gets quickly carted out of sight, he gets surrounded, the squash ball gets put into play, and he is window-dressed to look dead all by the time John gets back on his feet and to him.

Ta da!

Were you all right???

I was close. I knew Mycroft and Molly had to be involved. I guessed my hubs was right about the squash ball (although they never explain what the thing in Sherlock's hand was). I did not see the tarpyfallpad thing but did guess that they put a Sherlock-alike dead body on the ground to switch places with.

Like Anderson, I felt like they're would be more.

Anderson's theory was far more elaborate - masks get used, Moriarty's body gets used, Sherlock and Molly kiss, it's FANTASTIC. But Anderson is like a deranged version of his idiotic former self. He seems to have had some sort of manic break here. I don't know what to do with that.

He heads up a small group of Baker Street Irregulars (not the homeless network, more like a group of believers who are not, to my knowledge, called the Irregulars. But there was a lot of buffering going on).
The Goth Girl's version should be the stuff of every Sherlock fangirl;s dreams.

Want a taste?

Displaying photo.PNG

The rest of the stuff here is pretty basic mystery solving. Sherlock comes home, rescued by Mycroft (sort of), cleaned up, and returned to the wild of London. John briefly dabbles with an aging mustache (it doesn't last), and we get introduced to Mary, who, I gotta say, I LOVE.

I was really worried about her, because she usually gets played like Yoko Ono and so far there's not a hint of that being the direction here. THANK GOD. I don't want a woman who will break up John and Paul. I want a woman who will sing with the band.

Molly Hooper is also in fine form. Not only does she get to kiss Sherlock this episode (albeit, once in a fantasy sequence), she is also engaged. Before you get too excited and start thinking she's moved on, fear not, she is the same old Molly. Her fiance looks like Matt Smith playing Benedict Cumberbatch playing Sherlock.

It's amazing.

Verdict is out on whether she dresses him for the part or he is THAT into Sherlock. I hope time will tell.

Of course, we also get introduced to this season's big bad. We know he has blue eyes and wears glasses. He also has white hair and a penchant for watching black and white film. Particularly film of Sherlock saving Watson from a fiery death.

Creepy.

Honestly, I was a little disappointed in the big reveal. I think the writers knew that would be the case, though, and that's partly why they gave us such epic variations from the peanut gallery. Of course there will be holes in the plan. And we still don't have a particularly good idea why Sherlock didn't include John (aside from John's need to blog about everything, thus, possibly ruining the big secret), since, you know, everyone else seemed to have an idea.

Although, can I just say, one of my favorite scenes this week was when Lestrade hugs Sherlock. Seriously. I squee-ed a little.

Looking forward to next week already.

Laterz.

No comments:

Post a Comment